Monday, October 16, 2017

Of Fires and... well, fires are enough for now.

Is a burning Fall the payment for a drenched Spring?

When you're packing up to head out of Dodge, it is telling when you review which books to bring. I grabbed 3.

The Hero and the Crown, by Robin McKinley

The Book, by Anonymous

and a research guide on book collecting, which I have yet to read.


The fires here are nearly put out, the local fire fellows cutting lines in the earth as a dare, standing together with their hats askew and shovels ready.

I'm home again, but the books remain in my briefcase, snugged with writings and mock-ups. The lack of space for oxygen within the case lends an extra level of protection, its weight disguising it as a box of bricks- perhaps to fool the flames.

Next time, though (if there is a next time, and up here there tends to be), instead of heading out of Dodge, I'll stick around the store and keep checking updates, start a physical message board and place to let the fire people cool their heals. I'll keep the coffee brewing.

 I ran off the hill with my critters and my spouse when we could see the flames from the front porch, but we were safe.

Some friends were not so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment